Week of 5/21/18: Texas Shooting

Home Forums Weekly News Week of 5/21/18: Texas Shooting

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dylan J. Tulloch 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Elan Isaacson
    Keymaster

This week’s articles are, “Texas lieutenant governor blames abortions and violent video games for school shootings, but not guns”, by Darren Simon, “Dear Texas school shooting survivors: A Parkland teen’s advice to Santa Fe students” by Eden Hebron and “What’s true, what’s not about Santa Fe, Texas, school shooting” by John Kruzel and Amy Sherman. The third article by PolitiFact is a very informative article that debunks several myths and sets the record straight regarding key events and pieces of information about the shooting. The first and second articles show the opinions of two different people regarding the event. Both of these articles express support, although their belief regarding the core reason of the shooting is different. What are your thoughts on the articles? Do you think the lieutenant governor is correct that abortions and violent video games are to blame? Or do you agree more with the Parkland Survivors assessment that the less guns available the less frequent school shootings will be? What do you think should be done to prevent further shootings?Why do you think these shootings keep happening? Come discuss on our forums with other HP MUNC members.

Please keep all discussion civil

Dylan J. Tulloch
    Participant

Better security at schools is the easiest and likely most effective way to prevent shootings at schools.

Elan Isaacson
    Keymaster

What would this security entail? Armed security guards, metal detectors or other measures? I think that while security is good and a valuable thing to pursue the end goal should be trying to get guns out of the hands of people who simply shouldn’t have them. There is no reason for assault rifles to be sold in America to civilians. They do not serve a hunting purpose and have a clear purpose as an instrument of mass murder. Expanded background checks that prevent mentally unstable people from getting guns as well as making it easier for police and judges to remove guns from homes where they shouldn’t be would be far more effective at protecting student’s lives.

Dylan J. Tulloch
    Participant

I agree with you that it is important to keep guns out of the hands of the people who should not have them, I think it is important to define that and then protect everyone else’s right to have some. I can agree with expanding the background checks to a point.
    Assault rifles are already basically illegal to the point where the same permits also get you machine guns. I believe you are referring to semiautomatic firearms like the AR-15 which is, fun fact, one of the most popular hunting rifles in America due to the small bullet it fires making it ideal for self defense and small game. I know that you, if you reply, will disagree with me on that, so I urge you to properly refer to the similar guns not as the trademarked model AR-15, but as semiautomatic rifles, because what about Bushmaster ACRs, or FN Herstel SCARs, or literally anyother derivatives or similar purpose or platform…

Elan Isaacson
    Keymaster

Do you think people on the no-fly list should be able to buy guns?

Dylan J. Tulloch
    Participant

Yes, but that is mostly because the no fly list is a very flawed list. At one point Ted Kennedy was on the no fly list while he was a senator. It has some merit, but I don’t think that it is enough of a merit to justify even temporary removal of a fundamental constitutional right. Do you agree with me on that logic, have a logical reason for dissension, or just want to tell me that I’m stupid?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.