Week of 1/1/18: Russia Investigation

Home Forums Weekly News Week of 1/1/18: Russia Investigation

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dylan J. Tulloch 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Elan Isaacson
    Keymaster

This week’s articles are “How the Russia Inquiry Began: A Campaign Aide, Drinks and Talk of Political Dirt” by Sharon LaFraniere, Mark Mazzetti and Matt Apuzzo and “Republican Attacks on Mueller and F.B.I. Open New Rift in G.O.P.by Nicholas Fandos. These articles discuss the ongoing investigation into collusion between the Russians and the Trump Campaign and the circumstances that lead to the opening of the investigation, as well as the GOP’s response. What are your thoughts on the Muller Investigation? Do you think the investigation should continue, and is their merit to the investigation’s claims? Come discuss on our forums with other HP MUNC members.

Please keep all discussion civil.

Adam Liebell-McLean
    Participant

First and foremost, I think the investigation should continue. It is true that if it turns up nothing then tax payer went towards an investigation that gained nothing. However, despite that knowledge, I believe that there is enough evidence of collusion with Russia to warrant the investigation being allowed to continue. When it comes to whether there is merit to the claims of the investigation, I would say there is merit because multiple former Trump aides have cooperated with the special counsel. I think that testimony from people who were directly involved is very difficult to dispute without concrete recordings or transcripts. Lastly, I would say that it is not out of line for Republicans in Congress to criticize the special counsel, but I am worried by the way that the Trump administration is actively engaged in discrediting law enforcement. I find myself in agreement with Marco Rubio from the second article, we should let the investigation continue, see what it turns up if anything and if it does turn up a charge against members of the administration then that should be accepted.

Dylan J. Tulloch
    Participant

I agree that the investigation should continue, however, I have major qualms with how the media has covered it. No one reads these, so that’s it. Have a good night, God bless you, and God bless America.

Adam Liebell-McLean
    Participant

Dylan, I would love it if you would elaborate on your qualms about the media coverage. I’m really curious about how you think the media should cover the investigation. Also, this is proof that I did read this.

Dylan J. Tulloch
    Participant

Fair enough, but what was the last topic that you read or responded to? It has been a while for you my friend.

Additionally, I would say that the news has spent much time sensationalizing the issue and trying to rationalize fringe conspiracies while at the same time ‘reporters’ like Van Jones from CNN have been caught on film admitting that reporting the Russia story is “a big nothing burger.” They report news not to inform the populace but to influence the populace. There purpose is to degrade Trump and the GOP in general as much as possible regardless of accuracy. Compare this last year to the Obama administration, which, regardless of your political views, had scandals too. Just to name a few, the veteran affairs waiting lists, benghazi, irs targeting, the gsa spending spree, fast and furious, Solyndra, the Sestak/Specter 2010 PA senatorial race, and that whole thing with the DOJ and the New Black Panther Party, etc. Because the news definitely spent over a year talking about each one of those, right? Ha, no don’t be ridiculous, the only one that saw much news time was Benghazi/Clinton’s emails, and that wouldn’t have been talked about if not for Clinton running for election in 2016. It’s almost like maybe a large portion of the media has a liberal agenda. Gasp…

Note, this may come across as me hating the news just because it is too liberal, but keep in mind that I think news groups that agree with me but too much so are still at fault as well and I blame them for not covering the story at all or at least not openly mocking those who do cover the story. Also, I enjoy watching the news. I do it everyday before I come to school. I usually watch at least 5 channels and that is if I wake up late. I think the world of a news reporter that is able to put aside their own political biases and criticize a politician from their side of the spectrum or praise a politician with differing views. Journalists that are able to accomplish these feats are hard to come by these days, but I see them mostly with conservative or libertarian views. Right now as I write this, I can hear my parents watching Rachel Maddow. I know this because she is complaining about Roy Moore still. Yes, the man who is famously not a senator or any other major political official, is the head of tonight’s anti-conservative rant. At this point I’m certain all of their profits come from George Soros and if not for him, a certain few channels would start to go under quickly. Yeah, go ahead and complain about how conservatives cling to their corporately biases media that has foreign influences while every news station that you know not named FOX has accepted money from this bloated Hungarian billionaire.

God Bless America and good night.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.